Whether you want to offer both light and dark shirts in one Etsy listing, or completely different designs altogether, with a couple extra steps, you can list multiple design variations in one single Etsy listing and sync them all with Printful.
Option 1: Printful Variations
The simplest option for offering multiple design variations, e.g. white text on dark shirts and black text on light shirts, is to use the “Variations” feature in Printful. Note that this method only works on products with multiple variations such as shirt colors (so not all-over-print products) and you can only add each variation once, e.g. you can’t have multiple different designs all on black shirts; to do that, skip to the next option.
- Create a product with one version of your design on all the product variations you want for that design. For example, add your white text version on all the shirt you want to have white text.
- Click the Edit button next to the product
- Click the Add Variants button, located at the top right (if this button is greyed out, go to the next section about adding variants via Etsy)
- Uncheck all the variants you already have listed
- Check the variants you need to add and edit/replace the design as necessary
- Finishing publishing the product as usual
Option 2: Etsy Variations
Some products, such as all-over-print products, require you to add the variations on Etsy first and then sync with Printful. This method also works if you want to offer multiple designs on the same product variation (e.g. matching couple shirts printed on the same shirt model) or multiple product types (e.g. a t-shirt and tank top) in the same listing.
Watch my video on Adding Multiple Color Options for AOP Products for an example of this technique.
- In Printful, go to Settings > Stores > Orders and make sure Import existing products is checked. (If you have multiple stores synced with Printful, use the dropdown at the top to change stores and check this setting for each).
- Create mockups images of your products (you can use Printful’s standalone Mockup Generator)
- In your Etsy shop, create a new listing with all the required information such as title, description, photos, etc.
- In the Variations section, add all the product options you want to offer. Since you are only allowed two variations (e.g. color and size) you may have to get creative and combine multiple variations in one. For example, if I were offering family shirts with different sizes and colors, I might have one variation with the design options (mom, dad, sister, etc.) and another that combined the size and shirt color, e.g. “Adult XL Blue”, “Youth M Black”.
- Publish the listing (you can also save as a draft if you prefer)
- Go to your store in Printful and click the Refresh data link, located at the top right.
- When the new listing appears on your product list, click the Edit button next to it.
- Next to each product, you will need to click Choose Product and select the product and design for that variation.
- If you didn’t publish in step 4, go back to Etsy and publish your listing.
Note, you can also skip syncing all the products and instead sync them as you get orders; after you sync an unsynced order, it will sync all future orders. If you take this approach, make sure that “Import unsynced orders” is checked in your Printful settings.